Between 1958 and 1973 Kettle’s Yard, a collection of old cottages, was the home of Jim and Helen Ede. In the 1920s and 30s Jim had been a curator at the Tate Gallery in London. Thanks to his friendships with artists and other like-minded people, over the years he gathered a remarkable collection, including paintings by Ben and Winifred Nicholson, Alfred Wallis, Christopher Wood, David Jones and Joan Miro, as well as sculptures by Henri Gaudier-Brzeska, Constantin Brancusi, Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth.
At Kettle’s Yard Jim carefully positioned these artworks alongside furniture, glass, ceramics and natural objects, with the aim of creating a harmonic whole.
In 1966 Ede gave the house and its contents to the University of Cambridge. In 1970, three years before the Ede`s retired to Edinburgh, the house was extended, and an exhibition gallery added.
Over the years AAMR has been able to restore and conserve many items of furniture originally bought by the Ede`s for the house and as such have become intrinsic to the spirit of their home.
Images by kind permission of the client.