St John the Evangelist College Divinity School, Cambridge
Designed by Basil Champneys in the Gothic style & constructed in 1887 the building was originally known as the Selwyn Divinity School named after its benefactor, Professor William Selwyn; later to become St. John’s College Divinity School.
Built on the medieval site of the Hospital of St. John The Evangelist founded circa 1200, the site saw many uses including shops, inns , bake houses & in 1580 buildings included the Pentionary of St. John’s , essentially a residence for university students not supported by college.
Having been vacant for many years in 2009 St. John`s College decided upon a comprehensive refurbishment of this Grade II Listed Building with AAMR being commissioned to act as consultant to both the College and architects on the restoration and conservation of the historical Oak woodwork & metalwork; specifically the doors and associated hardware.
Conservation cleaning guidance was demonstrated on sample doors and in the form of written condition reports and suitable repair methods. Recommendations included various treatment proposals in order to deliver the least invasive methods when dealing with old surface patination such as on Oak doors and metal door hardware.
(Images by kind permission of the client.)