Queen Mary Sideboard from Marlborough House.
This late 19th century Mahogany Side-board has provenance to furnishings from Marlborough House, London whilst Queen Mary, the Dowager Queen [1867 – 1953] was in residence, 1936 – 1953. She moved from Buckingham Palace to Marlborough House in 1936 after the death of King George V and lived there until her death in 1953 aged 85.
Princess Victoria Mary of Teck, later to be Queen Mary, became Duchess of York in 1893 & upon marriage to Prince George the second son of Edward VII In 1901 she became Princess of Wales. She held this title until her accession to Queen Consort of the United Kingdom & British Dominions; Empress Consort of India in 1910.
Her eldest son, Edward who became King- Emperor later abdicated in order to marry American socialite Wallis Simpson.
The piece constructed from solid & Mahogany veneered pinewood is in three sections; two separate pedestal cupboards bridged by a top containing two drawers with solid brass lions head pulls.
Presently owned by an international collector extensive work was required in order to bring this piece to an acceptable standard where it could be donated to the Royal Collection.
(Images by kind permission of the client.)