All Saints’ Church Angel Lectern
This angel figure is approximately 400 years old, constructed from solid oak and believed to have originated from the Low Countries in the 17th century. It was most probably taken from a larger tableau in a church or cathedral.
It was purchased by an English antique dealer in 1882 and later found its way to All Saints’ Church, Landbeach in Cambridgeshire, where it was mounted on the current non-period stand with castors, and was “improved” with a carved oak lectern fixed at the back.
Having suffered over the years from various breakages, previous poor repairs and a recent fall, the angel was in need of significant repair. All Saints’ Parochial Church Council commissioned AAMR to undertake the necessary repairs including resetting loose fingers and toes, letting in new wood to form new fingers and and toes where the originals were missing and the un-covering of the lectern slope which features hand-cut fretwork.
(Images by kind permission of the client.)